21 December 2016
Help us stop the crop
Object to Rothamsted Research's application to Defra for an open-air field trial of GM wheat. The deadline for submitting objections to application number 16/R08/02 is 21 December.
Please write in your own words for more effect. A short letter is fine.
The following ideas can be used:-
1. There has been insufficient research into the location of DNA sequences. The GM wheat contains an antibiotic resistance marker gene and is tolerant to glufosinate-based herbicides.
2. The potential for escape and contamination is high. There have been multiple escapes of GM wheat from field trials in the United States and the containment measures proposed by the applicant are inadequate.
3. GM crops do not usually increase yield. More sophisticated, and less risky, conventional methods for breeding to increase yield are already available.
4) It is inaccurate to say that increasing yield will feed the hungry. It is known that the global supply of food is already enough to feed 10 billion people (the world’s 2050 projected population peak). We should be looking at distribution and waste management, not increased yields.
5) Food security requires diversity and resilience to environmental stress.
6) There is no market for GM wheat
Email your objection to firstname.lastname@example.org (including the application reference number 16/R08/02 in the e-mail subject line) or write to: GM Team, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Area 1C, Nobel House, 17 Smith Square, London SW1P 3JR, stating the application reference number 16/R08/02,
Two other GM Freeze actions can be found on their website. Both alert us to the fact that the supermarkets have gone back on their promise not to sell GM related foods, and are introducing many items which have been fed GM food. One is a Christmas card which can be downloaded and handed into your local supermarket with your written plea not to sell GM products. The other is an action outside supermarket, using a blindfold to show the public are unaware of what is happening.
The GM Freeze site gives information about the range of products different supermarkets offer which use GM food.
If anyone is interested in either of these actions, please let me know. It would be good to get a group of us doing it together. 01263 761471